The program is intended to allow more regional students to have access to top quality educators, and give teachers from metropolitan areas the opportunity to experience regional NSW and the benefits of rural living.
The grants will offer university students in teacher education courses a subsidy to study and a full-time job after graduation on the condition that they teach in a public schools in regional NSW for at least three years. In addition to the grants, recipients who achieve a credit average or above will have their HECS debt of up to $50,000 paid.
Benefits, for both new and existing teachers, vary from school to school but may include:
- rental subsidies of 50-90%
- annual retention benefits of $5,000 gross for a maximum of five years
- additional personal leave
- additional professional development days
- locality allowances
- transfer points
There are a number of destinations across Central West NSW offering special incentives for teachers, including:
- Condobolin area – encompassing Condobolin, Eubalong West, Lake Cargelligo, Tottenham and Tullibigeal
- Grenfell area – comprising Greenethorpe, Caragabal and Quandialla
- Parkes area – comprising Bogan Gate, Peak Hill, Trundle and Tullamore
The full range of Benefits and Incentives for Teachers and Executives in rural and remote NSW public schools can be found here.
Applications are expected to OPEN on 18 June 2018.