Regional Development Australia Central West (RDA Central West) is excited to announce the return of the ‘Central West Is Best’ Photography Competition with the theme for 2020 being: ‘Hometown Pride – Icons of the Central West’.
The towns and villages that make up the Central West are each iconic in their own way and that is something RDA Central West wants to celebrate.
RDA Central West CEO, Sam Harma said the competition provides a platform for the communities of the Central West to shine.
“The Central West has so much to offer and our photo competition is a way for budding, professional or social media photographers to capture and share the people, places and events that make our region unique,” said Mr Harma.
“We have endured some tough times recently and this is a way we can highlight the strength and vitality of our region. It also allows us to see the Central West through a new perspective and ensure we continue to appreciate and support our rich diversity.
“The 2019 competition was a big success and I’m looking forward to seeing this year’s entries. We encourage participants to follow our social media and see if their photos are featured with the hashtags #centralwestisbestphotocomp and #rdacentralwest.”
- Entries OPEN Monday, 6 April and CLOSE 5pm AEST Friday, 8 May 2020.
- Entry is FREE and open to all ages and photographic abilities, as long as you live in the Central West.
- There are two categories: Junior (under 18yo) and Open (18yo and over).
- Each winner and runner-up will receive a prize to the value of $300 for first place and a prize to the value of $200 for second place.
- For more information, including how to enter and to see more of last year’s entries, you can visit here.
- For any queries, please contact RDA Central West on (02) 6369 1600 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Winners will be announced in June 2020 and finalists and selected entries will go on to be part of the RDA Central West travelling photography exhibition.
- In the image shown are the 2019 winner and runners-up images with more details about each image, below.
‘Central West Is Best’ 2019 Photography Competition
Winners and Runners-Up
2019 Theme: ‘Agriculture and Tourism: Let’s Showcase Our Region’
Clockwise from left:
JUNIOR CATEGORY (under 18yo) WINNER
© ‘Sunrise at Riverside’ by Ella Gibson
Ella Gibson won this category with her beautiful sunrise photo taken on her family’s property in Baldry, near Cumnock, Central West, NSW.
OPEN CATEGORY (18yo and over) WINNER
© ‘Grenfell Silos’ by Helen Carpenter
Helen Carpenter who lives just out of Grenfell town and works in Grenfell, won the Open Category with her image: ‘Grenfell Silos – the amazing public art on the grain silos in Grenfell, Central West, NSW.”
JUNIOR CATEGORY (under 18yo) RUNNER-UP
© “Oh what’s that?” by Emily Murphy
Emily Murphy is 17 yo, and lives with her family at Fitzgerald’s Mount near Blayney and attends Blayney High School, Central West, NSW. Emily is the Runner-Up in the Junior Category with a photo of her four poddy calves: “They came up to sniff the camera when I was taking the photo, because you never know … it might taste good! Their names are (L to R) Harmony, Fox, Burt and Popcorn.”
OPEN CATEGORY: (18yo and over) RUNNER-UP
© ‘Family Adventure’ by Doug Goninan
Doug Goninan won the Open Runner-up Category with his photo taken whilst on a balloon flight over Canowindra, Central West, NSW. Doug describes his experience: “A fantastic family balloon flight over beautiful Canowindra, a rich agricultural and tourist area.”
Please contact RDA Central West directly if you would like individual JPegs of any of the above winners/runners-up images sent to you. If any of the above images are published, please make sure the photographer is credited.